Mi Familia

Mi Familia
Rosa, Paola, y Yo

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Quito, Ecuador

Hola from Quito!

Last night I flew into a mountinous city, sprinkled with orange lights everywhere. I was one of the first students from our group to get my luggage and get through customs. Although I was somewhat reluctant to leave the group, the families holding signs just beyond a sliding door that said Ecuador! were too alluring. As I looked around I began to see the names of my friends on the signs surrounding me, but not my name. I met Tania and Natalie, our program coordinators and they directed me to two nice women. I can't explain the feeling of meeting someone who has been waiting for you and knows your face yet you have only imagined them and know nothing. It was very special. Rosa is my host mom and her daughter is Paola who is 20 years old. We got my giant backpack (even though I packed the least of anyone in our group) into the back of their little white sedan and drove 10-15 minutes to their apartment. Mi cuarto es muy comodo and I share a bathroom with Paola.

They are very open here so they've already asked me many times if I have a novio.
Mi familia es tan generosa y tranquilo. Seriously, Rosa keeps saying "cosas de la casa", tranquilo, understand, and "es tu casa".I looked out my window this morning and saw las montanas! They have a pretty big apartment, but no "empleados" (housekeepers) which makes me feel a bit more at home. Paola is studying to be a doctora. Rosa also has a son Juan Sebastian who is 28. He works at an antenna company...something with technology is what I;ve gotten so far. He doesn't live here but he's been here ever since I've been here.

We had huevos y cereal (Frosted Flakes) para desayuna y Paola esta horneando un pavo para almuerzo. I am only allowed to have water and limonada for the first week and then I get to have orange juice. Woopee! Today I am going to el "super" (mercado) con Rosa y will hopefully buy a telefono celular. I just realized this is very Spanglish, but hey I'm adjusting. haha

Tomorrow we are having our first Intensive spanish class and I have to get to the Rio Coco bus stop by 8:30, I think. Rosa said that she'll help me out for the first week though so thats good.
Chau!
Besos,Sarita

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl, it sounds beautiful. I also packed only a little, so we can bring lots back right? Dunno if you'll keep up bloging but i wanted to say hey. Thailand is intesnse and fabulous.

    Have a great time in Quito!
    Love,
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete